Search This Blog

Diego Forlan: I’d rate 9 my performance in Atletico

After the Inter-Lille match Diego Forlan gave an interview to Marca.

How’s your injury?

Well, fortunately, I’ll be okay soon. At least it helped me to get some rest, which is good, since I didn’t have a vacation for a year and a half.

It seems that your expectations in Italy haven’t been met yet.

It’s true, but I’ve only recently arrived here. It’s too early to draw conclusions. A lot of things came together: I haven’t had a good pre-season because of Copa America, I had minor injuries, I didn’t rest, I joined a new team, and I was not 100% fit. This injury will help me start from a scratch.

What is the main difference between Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid?
Inter is a big team with a great international significance. Perhaps this is the main difference, though Atletico is also a well-known team, but still there is a difference. The people over here treat me very well. In Italy, the fans always greet me, even when they cheer for other teams, I am always warmly welcomed.

And in Madrid, people were not treating you good?
 Not at all. The Real Madrid fans have always welcomed me, too. In general, the fans have always been very polite and friendly everywhere: in Milan, in Madrid, in Villareal.

Whom would you take from Atletico to Inter?
Several friends, more for their human qualities: Godin, Juanfran and few others who left Atletico. But the things are the way they are.

And to Atletico from Inter?
One thing about Inter which is truely impressive is that being such a big club, everybody here is very simple, friendly, close to each other, from the president to ordinary employees. This is amazing. People who work in the club are simply great, but in Madrid they were great too, by the way. Inter is a bit like Manchester United in that sense.

Lets get back to Atletico. Whom do you remember from the club?
 All the people in the club are great … (Diego starts counting a whole bunch of people by their names: doctors, security guards, drivers, handymen…) Everybody who works there, all those anonymous people who drive the club forward.

Do you still follow Atletico?
Of course! I always wish them win. I don’t like what’s happening there right now. In addition, I am constantly in contact with some friends of mine, such as Godin. I try to watch their games whenever I can.


You, Kun and De Gea have left, but Atletico is still struggling, the same continuous roller coaster.
Yes, and it’s a pity. Looking back, I realize how valuable was everything that we have done. Three finals, two titles, played two years in the Champions League … And we achieved that after a long period of time when the club stalled and was not winning anything. It’s unfortunate that such a good team disappeared in such a short time, because all the good things happened just two years ago.

Now these titles look like a miracle…
We had a good team, though we had some tough times, like now. But we have to have patience. This is just the beginning.

Do you think the pressure on Manzano is justified?
No, and this is very bad. But generally, in football there is a lot of impatience. Manzano is a very good coach, well-educated, hard-working. When I left, I told him: it’s very unfortunate that we were not able to work together more.

How to change this history of failures in Atletico?
I have no idea. Maybe get together with fans, players, media in a big forum and come to some conclusions. I don’t know! This is a very complex process, since it covers several generations. Look, I’m going to tell you something that I never told before. I remember one game in Spanish La Liga, after we won two titles: the Europa League and UEFA Super Cup. We were on the bench with Antonio Lopez, Quique, and few others, and suddenly we heard the fans of Atletico singing the song that said “Let’s become champions again, like in 1996!” But we’ve just become super champions of Europe! I turned to the bench and said, “Guys, but we’ve just won 2 titles, and they still sing about 1996?!” It gives you an idea ​​how things are. Just in two months they’ve already forgotten the titles that we’ve won! Are these titles worth nothing?! Frankly, I was hurt, and as a professional, very disappointed.

What were your own mistakes in Atletico?
 That I was not a hypocrite. Other people told me that, too. I was honest and did not want to deceive people. Obviously, I was attached to the club, I spent four years there. I hope that people understand that. But at that moment, I said something very unpopular and was misunderstood.

How would you rank your own performance for the club?
(Thinks) High. I would give myself 9. We won two Cups, reached the finals of the King’s Cup, the club achieved its goals, I was a top scorer, won the Golden Boot. I’d give myself 9.

Do you still think about Quique Flores?
No.

Let’s move on from Atletico. How many years do you have left in football?
I have a two-year contract with Inter, with the possibility of renewal for another year, but I don’t look beyond that. I am now at the stage of my career where I really enjoy every game, because it’s heading to an end. I am glad I came here, though in Madrid I had my house, my friends, good atmosphere, good club, but I needed to change something in my life.


Would you ever play in Spain again?
 I don’t know. Frankly, there are other places where I would like to play, for example, in Brazil, where my father played (in Sao Paulo), or in the United States. I would like to try there. But first I want to play a few years in this great club (Inter).

As a striker, you depend on your physical form. When your form starts to decline, would you play in midfield?
Actually, I somewhat play in this position in the Uruguay national team now, with Cavani and Suarez on the edge. I feel comfortable in midfield, but nevertheless I still love being a striker. Please give me a little more time in attack.

Is it more difficult to score goals in Italy?
The statistics say it all. In Italy, there is a lot of great strikers, but they score less goals than in Spain. It’s a fact. Games are more closed, less space, more tactics, and especially for us, forwards: the teams are completely closed behind. I was watching Napoli-Parma the other day, and Parma was all sitting back there, closed and played on the counterattacks. Napoli had all the possession, but there was no open space for the attacks.

So, Messi and Ronaldo wouldn’t score that much in Italy.
I prefer not enter into this debate. And taking advantage of this last question, I’d like to say hello to all my friends in Atletico and Villareal. Greetings from Milan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Followers

My Ping in TotalPing.com