Search This Blog

Real Madrid fans 'threaten' ITV's Andy Townsend in Wolfgang Stark error

ITV pundit Andy Townsend has revealed he was threatened by angry Real Madrid fans who mistook him for Champions League referee Wolfgang Stark.
The former footballer told the Daily Mail that he was eating in a Madrid restaurant following Barcelona's 2-0 away victory against Real in the first leg semi-final fixture of the European tournament, when furious fans launched a verbal tirade against him.

Townsend, who was enjoying a meal with ITV presenter Adrian Chiles and other network bosses, said he feared he would be attacked when Real supporters identified him as Stark.

'Because I still had my UEFA accreditation around my neck they thought I was the referee. To them I was Wolfgang Stark! So I had to turn around and tell them I was from English television,' Townsend explained.

'Adrian's started calling me Wolfie. But actually there's a sinister edge to it. The crowd were baying for the referee's blood.'

The ill-tempered game on Wednesday (April 27th) has sparked controversy, with both sides charged by Uefa over incidents related to the fixture, including an outburst from Real manager Jose Mourinho in his post-match press conference.

Townsend said he blames Mourinho's vitriol for stirring up the fans, resulting in a charged atmosphere in the stadium and city.

'I wouldn't want to see him back in England,' he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Followers

My Ping in TotalPing.com