Search This Blog

Lionel Messi On Winning The Ballon d'Or, Answering His Critics Plus He Reveals His Favourite Ever Goal

Goal.com was granted an exclusive interview with Lionel Messi in Barcelona at an adidas function after the genius received his second FIFA Ballon d’Or award. Our Spanish chief editor Sergio Aguilera spoke at length with the world’s best player and they began by tackling the criticism Messi has been receiving in some quarters.
Question: You’ve been criticised in some parts for getting the Ballon d’Or again and this has created some controversy. Do you think your recent performances like the hat-trick against Real Betis have redeemed your reputation with the critics?
Messi: No, I don’t have to redeem myself to anyone. I did what I've always done which is to try to continue playing well in matches and help my team as much as possible.

Question: Do you think some people and some sections of the media have been particularly unfair to you?

Messi: The truth is that I don’t care what the media say. What matters to me is what my team-mates say and those people who are with me. I just have to thank them for their support.

Question: To all those who have always supported you, as was the case with Goal.com, what would you say now?

Messi: I appreciate their support and I want to share with them the Ballon d’Or award. It’s good to know that there are people who help and support me in any way.

Question: What was your reaction when you were presented with the Ballon d’Or in front of the Barca fans at Camp Nou?

Messi: It was a beautiful moment. I was pleased to enjoy it with Xavi and Andres together along with the whole group. I think the public understood the message that the Ballon d’Or was a prize for everybody.
Question: Has this Barcelona team got a limit?

Messi: I hope we keep playing like we have been for a long time and that we can win many titles. We have a wonderful opportunity [to achieve this] and I look forward to enjoying more success for as long as possible.

Question: What needs to happen for Barcelona to maintain this level of domination?

Messi: I believe we must continue to maintain this mentality and we have to keep wanting to play in the same way. We’ve been working like this for a long time and hopefully we can keep the momentum going much longer.

Question: Do you fear that something might happen that could alter the winning streak within in the team? Is this a fear that is ever discussed inside the dressing room?

Messi: We are so confident and working so well that we think only in a positive manner. We are aware that this streak can end at any time but we would rather not think about it.
Question: The Champions League returns next month, so how do you see the match against Arsenal going? Who do you think are Barcelona’s main rivals to become European champions?

Messi: The next round is very difficult for us because we play against a team like Arsenal who are very difficult rivals with very good players. However, we expect to qualify for the next round.

If we do that then we'll see then who the rivals are and who are the dangerous teams. But in any case we have a complicated round ahead of us.

Question: How do you see the immediate future of your national team? What needs to happen for Argentina to be successful again ahead of the next Copa America?

Messi: We are doing well and have a wonderful opportunity. It’s a chance to defend our country and present to everyone the Copa America which which would bring joy to the nation.

Question: As we are Goal.com we always like to end our interviews with this question - What is the most memorable goal you've ever scored?

Messi: Out of all of goals in my career the one I scored with the head in the final (below) of the Champions League [against Manchester United in 2009]. I think that one was a very important goal for me and for Barcelona and the truth is I have very sweet memories of that goal.

Question: And the most memorable goal in history for you?

Messi: (Hesitates) Erm, the truth is that right now I can’t think of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Followers

My Ping in TotalPing.com